How did it all start ?

 I had moved to London in January 2008 from India. And the cold weather, gloomy sky, sunset before 4 pm, reading books sitting in the close vicinity of the radiator and having infinite cups of tea all day didn't make me feel any better. So I decided to go out on walks, as I thought I should acclimatize myself to the new country. And I must say that going on walks, breathing in the scenic beauty and culture of the city was a welcome change. 

It was on one of my walks along the Kidderpore Avenue that I reached Hampstead School of Arts. It's a quaint little school in Hampstead and has several classes in art and pottery to offer. I went back home that day and looked up the school and checked the courses currently running there. I found some new courses starting in the Spring term. The next day I had made up my mind to go again and register myself for my very first course in " Botanical Painting". I was thrilled to find myself in the course after a few weeks drawing and painting a crocus. I had to draw it in detail like you would do when studying Botany at school. I painted it in water colors giving it shades of purple. I had an enriching experience, learning about drawing and painting flowers from my teacher.

One more course that had caught my eye was "Hand Built Ceramics". Right from my childhood, I was always in awe of potters and people who could create wonderful things out of clay.  And so I signed up for this course as well. And I must say, once I embarked on this small course, it made me realize how truly rewarding it is to create something from your own hands. Each day that I used to go to the school, I would be super charged in the morning and towards the end of the day I did not want to get up and go home. The first thing that I made was a vase with my hands, rolling and giving shape to the clay each day. Then I carved flowers and some other patterns on the vase. After the first round of bisque firing, I used pastel green and pastel blue for the underglazes on the vase. Once the colors were dry, I applied a transparent glaze to give the vase a sheen  and fired it at a higher temperature. The vase, when it came out looked beautiful and it was selected to be photographed for the school magazine. I was on cloud nine that day and walked home slowly and carefully, carrying my first work of clay and art.

I kept working with clay for some more time and learnt a lot of things about pottery. It gave me immense satisfaction creatively and emotionally. I have now embarked on a journey to make lead-free and safe ceramic products for use in the kitchen. I have an online presence as of now and supplying to US only.

You can view my products here 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Pottery Classes

Ceramics connect to yourself